Monday, January 25, 2016

A Case of The Mondays

Monday.
Monday kind of sucks...like a lot. Monday gets a bad rap, but let's face it, that rap has been well deserved. Monday is the beginning of the work week while contemporaneously ending the weekend. (Yeah, I said contemporaneously.) Translation; it's the end of the fun and the freedom while transitioning you to the routine and mundane. And Tuesday is Monday's ugly sister. 

But it doesn't have to be this way. For instance, if you are like me and you celebrated your hometown football team returning to the Super Bowl for the second time (#keeppounding), your Monday is pretty awesome. Everyone who knows me, knows that I am a huge Carolina Panthers fan. And it was so awesome watching them this season. Every Sunday they played (and won), made my Mondays more awesome. I have had coworkers congratulate me every Monday morning like I actually suited up and hit the field myself. Monday is pretty cool when your team is winning; and this brings me to my point. Find it, whatever it is that makes you keep going and makes you love your life. I think I have found it in several avenues of my life and I can admittedly say that I am the happiest I have been...like ever. 

I feel like I hit my stride and it's smooth sailing from here on out. Call it a winning streak because I feel like I am on it. And what does winning beget; usually more winning. So here's a few nuggets I have picked up from all of my reading and my very wise friends and family that keeps me focused on winning.
1. Eliminate the negative, and toxicity in your life and keep moving past it.  If s/he is a frenemy, hater, shade tree, or whatever term we have created, eliminate him/her from your life unapologetically. You only have to answer to your peace of mind for this. It can be anything or anyone, but just know it when you see it and do what you have to do to reclaim the space it takes in your head. 
2. Say no. But keep your word. Find time for yourself by making sure you aren't over-committing. But if you said you are going to do something, do it. Sometimes breaking your word can cause drama. And taking on more than you can handle only causes stress. My goodness, this was a huge learning curve for me. I like to do it all, but will no longer do so at my detriment. 
3. Unplug. Step away from the laptop, tablet and your smart phone and take part in some "Netflix and Chill", but in the traditional sense. (You should read this to say: relax and watch some TV, pervs.) Travel, or shop, read or catch up with someone. Whatever you do, remove the distractions going on around us.
4. Hang out with your favorites. So I got to see some of my line sisters for brunch at Buttermilk Kitchen on Sunday and I also saw my TFF for some BFF(Beer, Football and Friends) and I ate so much I couldn't eat dinner, but I felt so awesome being around some people I love...and watching my Panthers win. I had a whole day of good company and took a whole lot of pictures. On Saturday I had fabulous brunch at The Lawrence. I didn't leave a single crumb on my plate. The food was great and the company was better.
*Side note, please go to Buttermilk Kitchen and get the chicken biscuit. It will change your life. You're welcome in advance. 
5. Change your scenery. That could be as simple as taking a walk outside or as challenging as getting a new boo. Whatever it is, change is good so stay open to it. I like that I have changed as a person and I am excited about change in general, just look at my hair chronicles.
6. It's not personal. You are great. You are amazing to some people and not so amazing to others. But who cares? Be focused on being amazing to you and doing the best you can do everyday. You can't really help what people think of you and it's none of your business anyway. And trust me, for every one person who rejects you, there are at least ten wanting you on their team. 

So there you have it, the cure for the common case of the Mondays. Be well and be better. 


So this is a short one, I know. But I know a way to make this blog longer and a little more fun, or challenging to read. Turn this blog into a drinking game and take a sip every time you read the word "Monday(s)". Let's see if you can finish the post then.

No comments:

Post a Comment